Today Lisa and I tried to exercise our
democratic right by stumbling off to find the NZ Embassy in Athens; armed with our Lonely Planet guidebook which clearly showed it in cell C2 of the map on page 347.
Well we found a few embassies and lots of policemen but it turns out they'd moved since the guidebook we have was printed and wouldn't you know it but none of the cops in the diplomatic quater had any idea where they'd gone. We eventually found the new embassy / consulate, sharing their 5sq metres of the 6th floor of an obscure surburban building with a dentist and two lawyers. I don't know where the foreign affairs budget goes but its not Athens. Still, it was a good day for the waistline.

As was yesterday when we Did The Sights (Roman Agora, Ancient Agora, Acropylis, Hadrian's Library, Temple of Zeus, Temple of some-other-god, Another Temple of some-other-god). We managed to find ourselves in Athens on a public holiday- when all the monuments are free. So we saved ourselves $50 by seeing most of them. The crowds weren't at all bad either. In fact we found Athens a pretty nice town to hang out in. We especially enjoyed the free entertainment provided by the 5-a-side soccer court (enclosed in mesh like indoor cricket).
We've had a great time here- except for the sleeping, which is pretty hard to do in this particular hostel.
Off to Italy by ferry tomorrow, provided we can find our way around the 24 hour traindrivers strike announced today. Anyone know where the bus station is in Athens? Hope its easier to find than the NZ embassy.
Cheers,
Ian and Lisa
PS we were kind of wondering if anyone out there read this blog. Please do us a wee favour and email one of us so we know who we are doing it for (or you can send us a public comment by clicking on the "post a comment" link somewhere on this page).
8 comments:
there's nothing wee about my favors.
Jodi and I read your blog and eagerly await each update. You travel the world, I went to ND last week. I heard Murray was transferred to the Athens office - was he present?
When in Rome, you'll know what to do.
I read your blog posts pretty much as SOON as they post. No joke - I get notified when there's a new one, and I savor each one as I read. Love you both!! Can't wait for the next entry!!!!!!!
Erin
I keep you in my favorites list and try to keep up to where in the world you are. It sounds like a fantastic adventure! Hope your are having lots of fun.
T
I read your blog often and am envious of your great adventures!
We're here and reading.
I read your blog when you bother to put it out (which isn't often enough), and I read the old ones if the new ones arent up yet. On each occasion I hate you more.
Yeah, I read!
I read your blog religiously. I find myself living vicariously through your adventures. Keep the posts coming!!!!
Post a Comment